Delicious. Both myself and the kids loved it.
Butternut Squash, Leek, and Apple Soup
Author: Sarah B, My New Roots
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil (or ghee)
- 3 leeks
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 large butternut squash (mine was about 2 lbs. / 1 kg)
- 1 large, tart apple
- 4 – 6 cups / 1-1½ liters vegetable broth, as needed
- 1 tsp. fine grain sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. ground star anise
- apple cider vinegar to taste (start with ½ tsp. up to 1 Tbsp.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C.
- Prepare all vegetables: chop leeks and onions, peel garlic (but leave it whole), peel butternut and cut into cubes, chop apple.
- Place all vegetables on a baking sheet with the coconut oil, toss to coat, and set in the oven to roast for 25-35 minutes until tender.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a blender and add the spices and hot vegetable stock (you may need to work in batches). Blend on high until completely smooth. Taste, then add salt and apple cider vinegar, blend and taste again. Adjust seasoning to your taste, and add stock until the desired consistency is reached: I like mine quite thin so I use the full 6 cups / 1½ liters of stock.
- Transfer soup to a large cooking pot over medium heat to warm, if necessary. Divide soup equally among bowls and serve with croutons and freshly cracked black pepper.
Leave a Reply