Caesar Salad with Cashew Dressing and Tofu "Croutons"
Blended cashews and flaxseed take the place of oil in the dressing, while seasoned tofu works as a lower-carb alternative to regular croutons.
Author: Dan Blumenfeld
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 servings
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp flaxseed
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 14-16 oz extra firm tofu, drained, cut into ¾-inch cubes, and pressed between towels to extract extra water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce (9 oz)
- 1 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- ½ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 oz shaved Parmesan cheese
- To prepare dressing: Place cashews in a small bowl and add enough hot water to cover. Soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and transfer to a blender, along with all other dressing ingredients. Puree, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare tofu "croutons": Whisk lemon juice, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and onion powder in large bowl. Add the tofu and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Transfer tofu to plate, discarding liquid.
- Heat 1½ tsp oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Cook the tofu in two batches until golden and crisp on all sides, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- To prepare salad: Combine romaine, cucumber, parsley, and scallions in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top with the tofu "croutons" and Parmesan.
From a screenshot provided by Shauna McInnes.
Serving size: 2 cups salad + ⅓ cup tofu Calories: 251 Fat: 16 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 14 g Sodium: 346 mg
Leave a Reply