From Deena’s friend Laura McCarthy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Author: Laura McCarthy (adapted from Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day)
Serves: 3 loaves
- very large bowl with lid
- 3 medium loaf pans
- 4 and ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 4 and ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1.5 tbsp granulated yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups milk (cows milk or almond milk work fine)
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup raisins
- sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Put dry ingredients (including raisins) in the bowl and whisk together until well blended.
- Add water, milk, eggs and honey and stir until all flour is incorporated and there are no dry patches (add a little more water if needed)
- Loosely cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 2 hours. (Overnight rise is also effective; unused dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.)
- Heat the oven to 375.
- Prepare your loaf pan(s) with cooking spray, then place dough inside handling as little as possible.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap then let rest (40 minutes for fresh dough, 90 minutes for refrigerated dough.
- When resting is complete sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
This bread makes excellent french toast. 🙂