Grandma's Rapid-Rise Refrigerator Yeast Bread
This simple bread can be put together the night before, and baked fresh for breakfast.
Author: Susan Blumenfeld
Serves: 2 Loaves
- 6-7 cups flour
- 2 pkgs. dry yeast
- 2 tbsps. sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- ¼ cup butter(soft)
- 2¼ cups hot water
- Mix 2 cups flour, yeast and sugar, then add salt and butter
- Gradually add hot water and beat at medium speed x 2 mins
- Add 1 cup flour and beat rapidly x 1 minute
- Gradually stir in rest of flour(adjust amount as needed to get soft dough-not sticky)
- Knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic(it springs back when you poke it);
- Cover with plastic wrap and towel and let rest 15-20 min.
- Punch down, divide in half and place in greased bread pans(2)
- Brush surface lightly with oil
- Cover loosely with wax paper and plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2-24 hours
- Uncover at room temp. x 10 mins. before baking at 400 for 35-40 minutes
- Remove from pans immediately(should sound a bit hollow if you tap bottom)
- Cool on rack
- Brush with butter to glaze crust.
Very popular with the kids...fresh bread for breakfast, plus slices for that day's sandwiches, makes this a winner.
Leave a Reply